[personal profile] djinncoyote
Everything had been working fine on Eclipse Kepler + Java 1.6. As I was building a new local environment, I decided to upgrade my Eclipse at the same time.

I downloaded the latest Eclipse version, Mars. It requires a minimum Java level of 1.7 to run. Our code is only tested on Java 1.6. So I planned to run Eclipse on the latest Java version, 1.8, while running our code on 1.6. I set the compiler compatibility level to 1.6.

First there was the Git issue as mentioned in the prior post.

Then when I tried building the code, strange things happened. First there were memory / heap space errors, and crashes. After finding the right Java memory settings to avoid those issues, the build no longer crashed, nor did it complete. It went on and on... and periodically popped up tons of windows all with the same message, while doing so. It seemed stuck in a loop.

Rather than switching to Java 1.7 and risking still having the same problem, I decided to try Eclipse Luna + Java 1.6. At least that would be a partial upgrade. (I vaguely recall a coworker having a different compile issue with Kepler + 1.7, so it's probably good I didn't try 1.7.)

Everything seemed fine with Luna. The builds worked, and the code ran ok.

Then I wanted to debug one of our other projects which uses Maven. But the File - Import menu and the Preferences window were missing the Maven entries, even though Eclipse showed Maven as being installed.

It seemed like my Eclipse might be corrupted, so I downloaded a fresh copy. With the fresh copy, the Maven entries were there! Then I installed the Spring Tool Suite in the fresh workspace, as the other projects require Spring. But after the install, the Spring entries were missing from the menus and Preferences window! Even though they had been present in the first workspace!

Now I had one workspace with the Maven entries present and the Spring ones missing, and another workspace with the Spring entries present but the Maven ones missing.

It finally occurred to me to check the Eclipse .log files in both workspaces. Both .log files showed startup errors related to the m2e and Spring components requiring at least Java 1.7. (Don't ask me why Spring seemed to be working ok in the 1st workspace but not the 2nd.)

So, after all that, I'm going back to using Kepler. There's a team tasked with doing a technology upgrade project, so hopefully they'll get our code compatible with the latest Java and then I'll be able to upgrade Eclipse.
From:
Anonymous (will be screened)
OpenID (will be screened if not on Access List)
Identity URL: 
User (will be screened if not on Access List)
Account name:
Password:
If you don't have an account you can create one now.
Subject:
HTML doesn't work in the subject.

Message:

 
Notice: This account is set to log the IP addresses of everyone who comments.
Links will be displayed as unclickable URLs to help prevent spam.

Profile

djinncoyote

February 2017

S M T W T F S
   1234
567891011
121314151617 18
19202122232425
262728    

Most Popular Tags

Active Entries

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags